Saturday, June 27, 2009

Moss Rose ~ Emily Howard




Word like a poultice I put on your chest
Words like a stew you give me when I am hungry

Words like a cell that endlessly divides
Words like a membrane between us

Words like a stepping stone across the narrow river
Words like a fragile row boat in a choppy sea

Words like a wand
Words like a Swiss Army knife

Words like kites, like balloons
Words like a subtle addiction

Words like a horse riding me swiftly to your house.
Words like a train that already left the station

Words like curtains blowing
Words like ducks in a pond

Words like a Buddha statue
Words like a raspberry staining my dress

Words like high walls we cannot see over
Words like chinks between the stones

Words that I want to claim as mine
Words that don’t belong to me

Words that I want to give to you
Words that fell out of the package on the way

Words that were said long before us
Words that are artifacts in the ground

Words like a glass of cider
Words that sputter drunkenly down the street

Words like attic roofs
Words like umbrellas

Words that pick up the high winds
Words that float down like a Victorian governess

Words that hanging gardens
Words like those who have abandoned us.

Words like us
Words like us.



No comments: