Saturday, August 22, 2009

little gallows man ~ Angie Werren


you’ll think you thought these things alone

it was early morning when that dog broke free
pulled me from the ground / up by my questionable roots
he carried me in his slobbering mouth
he laid me at your door


you wanted me then
you washed me in red wine
you fed me milk and honey


you saw in me a semblance of yourself
a thing you could cajole and
manipulate / but that hanged man
was more wicked than you knew


you’re stuck with me

now
eyeballing you
slyer than sly


dress me in white / sit me on a shelf
I’ll hop down in the dead of night
I’ll crawl into your ear until
my whispers become your words


you fed me milk and honey
you washed me in red wine
you’re stuck with me now


hanging / there was another
innocent seed dropped down
soon
that dog will be howling at the door



you’ll think you thought these things alone
and you'll think like roots / like nightshades



Angie Werren writes poetry from a little house in Ohio. She has poems published in a few lovely places like The Ouroboros Review and Bolts of Silk. She is also a bit delightful and a true sport.


No comments: