Sunday, January 24, 2010

here’s how much ~ Emily Howard



Papers won’t stay in files
Clothes won’t stay in drawers

Jewelry insists on entanglements.
Ointments fall from the cabinet shelf

Couch cushions affect a Cleopatra slump
Pillows take a lazy dive behind the bed

I can’t find my music
I can’t find my bills
I can’t find my other shoe

I sing on buses but don’t read
I go home at quarter past three
I paint my toenails and watch TV

I drink vodka in filtered light

I’m a philodendron-needs trimming
I’m an old ball gown-needs mending

A pair of crooked specs
her legs all akimbo
Loose hair like tobacco
All rolled up

You really should inhale this


3 comments:

Gordon Mason said...

Wonderfully adapted list poem.

Emily said...

Oh thank you!

the red ceilings said...

That's not a list surely? Nice poem though.